Non-School Leaver Applicants

  • If you'll be 20 years of age or over before 1 March in the relevant admission year, you'll be considered a mature-age applicant. This can open up many flexible entry pathways for you.

    Mature-age WACE applicants

    If you are currently studying WACE courses as a mature age student (ie you will be 20 years or more on 1 March 2023), check the School Leaver Admission Requirements brochure for 2023, as its information and requirements will be relevant to you (with the exception of the WACE requirement from which mature age applicants are exempt).

    You may obtain a 4- or 2-course ATAR if you are a domestic student (Australian or NZ Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or holder of Humanitarian Visa).

    International students are only eligible for the 4-course ATAR.

    Your 4-course ATAR will be calculated in the same way as the ATAR for a school leaver. You may combine scaled scores obtained in the previous four years to form a school leaver ATAR.

    Your 2-course ATAR will be calculated using your best two scaled scores from your 2022 study, multiplied by 2, and with any LOTE bonus or Mathematics bonus(es) added, to form the TEA. The TEA will be converted into an ATAR in the same way as a school leaver ATAR. It is not necessary for a result in English or Literature or EALD to be included in the ATAR, however you may need to rely on this course to prove English Competence.

    The higher of the 4-course school leaver ATAR or 2-course mature age ATAR will be used for admission purposes. Note that a 2-course ATAR is not considered for Medicine at Curtin, or Medicine and Dentistry at UWA. Also note that some universities have prerequisite WACE course requirements for their courses, which you will need to satisfy for your preferred course of study. STAT may satisfy some prerequisite requirements.

    ATAR for Veterinary Science
    Applicants who have left secondary school more than two years previously and have undertaken no postsecondary study and want to study Veterinary Science as an Undergraduate (recent secondary education) applicant should study four ATAR courses in the one year. Applicants applying on the basis of fewer than four ATAR courses are ineligible for the Undergraduate (recent secondary education) category and will be considered as Other Undergraduate applicants (Post-secondary studies or work/life experience). They should note that there are a limited number of places available in the Other Undergraduate (post-secondary studies or work/life experience) applicant category and that they are competing for a place along with applicants who may have completed a year or more of tertiary study.
  • Special Tertiary Admissions Test

    The Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT) is an aptitude test which assesses competencies commonly considered important in tertiary study.

    Anyone who is 20 years of age before 1 March in the year in which they wish to commence studies is eligible.

    The STAT provides an avenue of entry to a tertiary institution for those who do not have the formal entry requirements. It is available all over Western Australia and is recognised Australia-wide.

    Further information can be found at STAT.
  • Previous study in Australia or overseas

    If you've completed Year 12 (or equivalent), or studied at another university or a vocational education college, you may be able to use these results from your previous study to gain entry.

    No matter how long ago such study is contact Admissions at the university you wish to attend for advice.

    You will find some general information on this site under Universities Information.
  • Alternative entry pathways

    Most universities offer alternative entry pathways into their undergraduate degrees. These can be enabling programs that enable you to complete a six or twelve month course that will qualify you for entry to that universities' courses.

    Or, some will allow entry on other criteria like portfolio submission, experience-based entry schemes or other programs. Check the website of the university(ies) you are interested in attending, and talk to their Admissions staff to get advice on the best means of entry for you.

    Here are some links to get you started:
  • If you wish to apply through TISC, you should check the university website of the universities you are interested in applying to for information on English competency and prerequisites. If you have past academic qualifications as a basis of university admission, make sure you declare them all when you apply. TISC may be able to retrieve your results electronically if you studied Year 12 and/or university in Australia. Otherwise you will need to provide your documents yourself.