Applying for Undergraduate Courses  

Applications processed by TISC
Applying to other Australian tertiary institutions
Application procedure for undergraduate courses
Who should apply through TISC?
Did you defer your place in 2016?
Past and current students from WA tertiary institutions
How and when to apply through TISC
The cost to apply through TISC
Acknowledgement of applications
Change of address/email address
Police clearances
Application for working with children check
What's my TISC application number?
Choosing preferences (courses)
Changing course preferences

Applications processed by TISC

TISC processes applications for admission to undergraduate courses, as detailed in the Course Search facility on this site. Apply online via TISCOnline (TISC's online application system).

Note: You MUST apply through TISC AND submit a separate application direct to ECU for entry into WAAPA courses and other ECU courses that require you to attend an audition and/or interview as part of the entry requirements. You MUST apply through TISC AND submit an Application for Audition/Interview Form which is available online for entry into UWA's Music Studies or Specialist Music Studies majors. For further details see specific course entries in the Course Search facility.

TISC also takes applications for graduate-entry Law at ECU, for Engineering (Honours) courses at Curtin, ECU and Murdoch and for Curtin specialist fourth-year degrees.

Curtin University: Apply for Honours programs, and Psychology (Honours) and 4th year, directly to the Curtin University Admission Centre. Applicants who are applying for the Portfolio Entry pathway are required to apply online through TISC and must also submit their portfolio directly to Curtin University.

Edith Cowan University: If you're a School Leaver who will obtain an ATAR you must apply through TISC. You can also prepare a portfolio for the Portfolio Entry Pathway as a backup. To be considered through the Portfolio pathway, in addition to your TISC application, you will also need to complete an online application with ECU and upload your portfolio documents to your ECU application ( If you won't obtain an ATAR, you should submit an application and Portfolio Entry Pathway documents direct to ECU through its Apply Online link. Apply for specialist fourth-year degrees (including fourth-year Honours) directly to ECU at

Murdoch University: If you're a Murdoch University Media and Design Portfolio applicant, apply through TISC. However, submit your portfolio directly to the University online at You will need to keep Murdoch as your first preference and gain English competency. Your application will be assessed by an Academic Chair and you will find out the outcome of your application in the main or second round of TISC offers.

Apart from Engineering (Honours) courses, apply for Honours directly to Murdoch University via

The University of Western Australia: Apply for Honours programs direct to the University. For additional information regarding the application process and available specialisation areas please refer to

Postgraduate Studies: Apply for postgraduate studies direct to the respective universities.

See also Applying to other Australian tertiary institutions.


Application procedure for undergraduate courses

Who should apply through TISC?
You can only apply through TISC if you're an Australian or New Zealand citizen, or you've been approved or granted Australian permanent resident status.

If you're applying for permanent residence, you aren't eligible to apply through TISC until your permanent residence status has been approved or granted. Contact the International Centres of the respective universities for advice. NOTE: If you have a subclass 457 visa, you aren't eligible to apply to TISC, but must apply direct to the International Centre of the relevant university(ies).

Residency status information
You must provide correct details of your current residency status when you apply. If an offer is made to you, and university checks find that you've provided incorrect residency status information, the university concerned will withdraw your offer in accordance with its policies and procedures.

Are you a past and/or current student from a WA tertiary institution?
If you've been enrolled or are currently enrolled in a Western Australian university and you want to re-enter the same university, you may not need to apply through TISC. It's your responsibility to contact the university to find out if you're a re-enrolling student. In many cases you need to apply directly to the university concerned for re-admission, rather than apply through TISC. You may miss re-enrolment deadlines if you incorrectly apply through TISC, and it may cost you unnecessary fees.

When applying, you must declare previous enrolment and student number, even if you withdrew from a course prior to the start of the academic year. Failure to declare the previous student number will create enrolment problems and may result in the withdrawal of any offer made.

Check the following rules, Curtin University, Edith Cowan University, Murdoch University and The University of Western Australia. However, if you are unsure where you should apply, contact Admissions/Recruitment Centre of the university concerned well before the closing date for applications.


How and when to apply through TISC

All applications are made online via TISCOnline (TISC's online application system).

The on-time closing date for applying is 11pm Wednesday 30 September 2016. The final closing dates for applications are shown under TISC Calendar.


The cost to apply through TISC

Western Australian 2016 Year 12 WACE Students
All Western Australian 2016 Year 12 WACE students who were born on or after 1 March 1997 can apply before 11pm on 30 September 2016 for a charge of $30.00. After this date you still apply but applications lodged after 11pm on 30 September 2016 will incur a late processing fee of $150.00.

Mature age Year 12 WACE students (born before 1 March 1997), the application fee is $63.00 before 11pm, 30 September 2016. Applications lodged after 11pm, 30 September 2016 will incur a late processing fee of $150.00.

Other Applicants
The application fee is $63.00 before 11pm, 30 September 2016. Applications lodged after 11pm, 30 September 2016 will incur a late processing fee of $150.00.

A full schedule of fees and charges can be accessed at TISC Fees and Charges.


Acknowledgement of applications

Print off your Application Coversheet as a record that you have applied, and as a reminder to submit the documents requested on it. Once you have applied and TISC has processed your application processing fee, TISC will send you an email confirmation.


Change of address/email address

It is important that you inform TISC if you change your address either online, by telephone or in writing. Don't advise your change of address to the universities as this won't be recorded on your application. The universities will access your new contact details from TISC. See the TISC Calendar for the change of address deadline before offers are made.

If you are currently undertaking WACE courses, ask your school to let the School Curriculum and Standards Authority know your new address.

Please also see What if I am away from home in January/February?, if this applies to you.


Police clearances

If you're applying for undergraduate courses in the general areas of education, health, humanities and social sciences, and science, be aware that many of these areas of employment require practitioners to have a police clearance. As a student, external placement, clinical practice or practicum involving contact with the public may be part of your course. External agencies, such as government departments, non-government agencies and hospitals, may require you to obtain a police clearance prior to an external placement, clinical practice or practicum. External agencies can vary their requirements at any time and may not always advise the universities of changes.

A criminal record may not necessarily preclude you from any of the above. However, serious crimes:
  • of a violent or sexual nature,or
  • where the victim was under 18 years of age or elderly, or
  • for dealing or trafficking in drugs, or
  • involving fraud, or
  • any offence which results in a jail sentence
may make you unsuitable for employment and/or provision of services to clients.

Be aware that if you apply for a police clearance this information may be placed on a national database and made available to other authorities (if it is of a sexual or child related nature).

The university concerned will provide you with further details about obtaining the relevant police clearance upon enrolment, or included with your offer of a place. You should apply promptly for a police clearance as your application may take time to be processed.

At this time the universities are aware that a police clearance may be required from students enrolling in the following fields of study:
  • Education: Teaching
  • Humanities and Social Sciences: Children and Family Studies, Psychology, Social Work, Welfare Studies, Youth Work
  • Health: Chiropractic Science, Dentistry, Health Sciences and Technologies, Medical Sciences, Medicine, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Podiatric Medicine, Rehabilitation Studies.

The Department of Education and Training and Department of Health have their own screening programs. Contact the relevant Department for the course(s) in which you're interested.

Education related disciplines:
Contact the Department of Education Screening Unit
Telephone: (08) 9264 4477

NOTE: The Department of Education has its own 'CrimTrac' police clearance system. The application form is at Click on 'Screening'. Please also be aware of the provisions of the Working with Children Act.

Health related disciplines:
For information or if you've any concerns about obtaining a police clearance please contact the Criminal Record Screening Office of the Department of Health
on email:

If you're a double-degree student requiring both an education and a health police clearance, an education police clearance is accepted by the Department of Health, as long as it was done within the last 12 months, as at the date of receipt at the Department of Health.

Application for working with children check
The Working with Children (Criminal Record Checking) Act 2004 aims to protect children from harm by introducing a high standard of compulsory national criminal record checking for people wishing to do paid, unpaid or volunteer work with children in Western Australia.

If you're an education or health science student who is going to be working with children within the ages of 0-17 for the purpose of your practicum, you'll be required to undergo a Working with Children Check. If you're a Medicine, Dentistry or Podiatric Medicine student, you'll also be required to undergo a Working with Children Check. Apply for a Working with Children Check through Australia Post agencies.


What's my TISC application number?

Your TISC application number is recorded at the top of your application coversheet once you have applied. It is your eight-digit WACE candidate number if you're a current WACE student. If you are a current WA STAT candidate, your TISC number was advised to you at the time of booking or is listed on your results letter. For all other applicants your eight-digit TISC number is generated when you register.


Choosing preferences (courses)

How many courses can I choose?
You can choose up to six courses. List them in order of preference, starting with the course you'd most like to do. You should list more than one preference, especially if a similar course is offered at more than one university. Choose what you'd really like to do, but be realistic in your choices. To check whether you're likely to qualify for admission, contact the Admissions Centre/Office of the relevant university.

If you were offered a place for 2016 but deferred your studies until 2017, see 'Did you defer your place in 2016?'. If you need to re-apply through TISC for your deferred place and want your deferred place to be held for you (even if you would also like to be considered for other courses), you must list your deferred course as one of your preferences. You won't be considered for courses placed below your deferred preference.

Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP)
A Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP) is a university place in which the fees are subsidised by the Federal Government. If you enrol in a CSP, you will pay some course fees but not the full cost of your education. For more information please see Paying for university study.

Does the order of my preferences matter?
Yes. You only receive one offer. Your first preference should be the course you'd most like to do, your second preference the course you'd next prefer to do, and so on up to six preferences. List only courses for which you'd accept an offer. You'll be made an offer for the preference highest on your list for which you're eligible, as long as a place is available. If you've included a deferred place as a preference, you won't be considered for courses placed below this preference.

Are all preferences given equal consideration?
Yes. If you're not selected for your first preference, you'll be considered equally with all other eligible applicants for your second preference, and so on. Your chance of being selected for a particular course isn't reduced because you've placed that course as a lower order preference. If you're ranked higher than another applicant who lists that course as a higher preference than you have, you'll be selected ahead of that applicant.

Method of study
The methods of study available for each course - full-time, part-time, or external - are shown in the Course Search facility. Make sure you take this into account when listing your preferences. You can only specify one method of study for each course code, but some universities allow you to change your method of study at enrolment. Contact the relevant universities for more information.
  • Full-time studies (F)
    If you choose 'full-time' as your method of study, you'll study a full-time load of units and enrol for classes on campus for whenever the unit is timetabled. This may be in the daytime or the evening. Some units may be offered in more than one time-slot.
  • Part-time studies (P)
    You can study many courses part-time. Part-time means undertaking a lesser load of study than the normal full-time load. If you're a part-time student, you'll study a part-time load of units at the campus. You'll enrol for classes on campus whenever the unit is timetabled. This may be in the daytime or evening. Some units may be offered in more than one time slot.
  • External studies (E)
    If you're an external (off-campus) student, you won't normally attend classes on campus. Course materials will be mailed to you or made available via the Internet. Some courses may be offered externally in full or in part. External study is available for some courses at Curtin University, Edith Cowan University and Murdoch University. External study isn't available at The University of Western Australia.

Curtin online studies
Some Curtin courses are delivered either partially or fully 'online'. If you're an external student, you won't attend classes on campus. Course materials are available online and you'll learn using a wide variety of sources that can include interactive videos and animations, simulations, online workgroups, etc. You're required to have internet access for Online Studies. Online Studies courses are indicated on the individual course entries available via the Course Search.

What else do I need to consider?
When choosing your preferences, think about what you would really like to do, balanced by a realistic appraisal of courses for which you may qualify for admission.

For applicants not doing Year 12 in 2016, Indicative ATARs may not be applicable. Most universities take into account any or all of the following when considering your application: tertiary studies, secondary studies, post-secondary studies (eg TAFE studies), and in some cases other relevant factors such as life experiences, employment history, and special circumstances.


Changing course preferences

Can I change my preferences?
Yes, at any time, subject to closing dates. You can change some or all of your preferences on any one time. Changing your preferences cancels all previous preferences.

If you're a Year 12 student, there is no point in changing your preferences until after your results are released in late December (except for courses where earlier closing dates apply). However, so that you don't make important decisions in a hurry, you should think about some of the possibilities well before then.

How do I change preferences?
Via TISCOnline:
  • Access the homepage of this website, log in to your application, and then click on Application Enter/Update then Course Preferences.

Changing preferences is a 3-step process, which involves moving through three pages - make sure that you go through all 3 steps and receive a reference number, then you'll know you've completed the change.

How much does it cost?
It costs nothing to change your preferences.

Closing dates for changing preferences
These dates are listed in our Calendar. Check the deadlines to see whether any course you want to add has an early closing date. Closing dates aren't negotiable.

Will TISC confirm my changes of preference?
Once you've changed your preferences online you'll see a page confirming the changes you've made and providing a reference number, which you can print if you like. You can log in at any time to check your preferences, but make sure that you're viewing your current committed preferences, rather than those in your Course Folder or those which are still uncommitted.

Can I change my preferences between the main and second round of offers?
Yes, subject to closing dates, and as long as you don't accept or defer your offer. Make sure that you understand the implications of changing preferences at this stage. Read the Offers of admission section. Don't change preferences until you're notified by one of the universities or by TISC whether an offer has been made. If you change your preferences at this stage you may cause your offer to be cancelled.

Universities try to fill all courses in the main round of offers, so the number of offers made in the second round is usually small. You may need a higher rank to enter a course in the second round than in the main round. In some courses no offers are made in the second round. Before you make a change of preference for the second round of offers, contact the university concerned to find out whether you're eligible and if places are available in the course(s) you want. TISC will list online whether each course may still have places available after main round offers are made (see 'Cut-off Ranks for Main Round Offers' after 18 January).

Where can I get advice?
If you don't understand the procedure involved, or if you're unsure whether or not to change preferences, contact TISC or the Admissions Centre at one of the universities.