Other Useful Information

  • Paying for university study

    If you're a domestic student, the following information applies to you. Check www.studyassist.gov.au for more detailed information.

    The following information is current as at 30 June 2016. Check www.studyassist.gov.au/sites/StudyAssist/ at intervals during 2016 for any amendments to the details below.

    Federal Budget 2016 - While still subject to the passing of legislation, note that changes are likely to the information below for 2017.

    CSP Student Contribution Ranges for 2016
    Band Estimated student contribution
    range for 2016
    Band 1
    (behavioural science, clinical psychology,
    education, foreign languages, humanities,
    nursing, social studies, visual and performing arts)
    $0 to $6,256
    Band 2
    (agriculture, allied health, built environment,
    computing, engineering, mathematics, science,
    statistics, other health, surveying)
    $0 to $8,917
    Band 3
    (accounting, administration, commerce,
    dentistry, economics, law, medicine, veterinary science)
    $0 to $10,440
  • Commonwealth Supported (CSP) students

    As a domestic student you'll be 'Commonwealth supported' (CSP).

      To be eligible for a CSP place, you must be:
    • an Australian citizen intending to undertake at least some of your course of study in Australia;
    • a New Zealand citizen who must be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit(s);
    • a holder of an Australian permanent visa who must be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit(s), or
    • a holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa who must be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit(s).
    The Australian Government will contribute towards your course costs if you're a CSP student. However, you'll have to pay a student contribution amount. As part of the enrolment process you will need to submit an eCAF (electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form) (see HELP).

    The amount of student contribution you must pay is determined by the institution you attend, and depends on your course of study. Each institution sets its own student contributions for each unit of study, so student contributions will vary between institutions and courses. These student contributions must be within a range set by the Australian Government (see table). You will need to contact the university(ies) of your choice to confirm the fees to be charged in 2017 for the courses you apply for.
  • Higher Education Loan Programme (HELP)

    If you're an Australian citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa, you can pay your student contribution up front, or you may request a HECS-HELP loan. Repayments for all HELP loans are based on income. You don't have to start repaying your HELP debt until your income reaches a certain level ($54,126 during the 2015-2016 income year).

    If you're a New Zealand citizen who does not meet the New Zealand Special Category Visa holder long-term residency requirements, or the holder of an Australian permanent visa (not a humanitarian visa) you don't have access to HECS-HELP loans. You must pay your student contribution up front.
  • Commonwealth Scholarships Program

    The Australian Government has established the Commonwealth Scholarships Program to provide financial assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students from low socio-economic backgrounds, particularly those from rural and regional areas, with costs associated with higher education (see Scholarships). For further information, contact the university you are interested in attending.
  • Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN)

    If you receive Commonwealth higher education assistance (as a CSP student, through a HELP loan or through a Commonwealth Learning Scholarship, you must have a Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN). This number will stay with you throughout your academic life, allowing your eligibility for Commonwealth support to be facilitated and monitored.

    The Federal Government is responsible for allocating CHESSNs. If you apply through TISC, a CHESSN will automatically be allocated to you.

    If you receive Commonwealth assistance, you'll be advised of your CHESSN when you enrol.
  • Student guild

    You'll receive information about the student guild at enrolment.
  • Financial assistance

    If you're studying, you may be eligible for financial assistance. The Department of Human Services provides assistance to students through payments such as Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY and Austudy.

    General information about the range of payments available to students is provided below. Full details of payments are available at www.humanservices.gov.au.

    The following information is correct as at May 2016. If you use this publication after that date, please check the Department of Human Services website.

    Youth Allowance provides financial assistance to students who are studying an approved course full-time. The amount of Youth Allowance paid to students who are dependent on their parents is based on the application of the Parental Income Test and Personal Income Test. Students aged 22 years or older are considered independent and, in some instances, students under 22 years may also be considered independent. This means their parents' financial situation is not taken into account. However, a Personal Income and Assets Test will still apply to a claimant and their partner, if they have one.

    Austudy provides assistance to students aged 25 and older who are studying an approved full-time course. A Personal Income and Assets Test will still apply to an Austudy claimant and their partner, if they have one.

    Students claiming Youth Allowance or Austudy can claim online at www.humanservices.gov.au/youthallowance or www.humanservices.gov.au/austudy.

    ABSTUDY provides financial assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians who are studying an approved full-time or part-time course or undertaking a full-time Australian Apprenticeship. It provides a fortnightly means-tested living allowance (full-time students and Australian Apprentices only), and additional components to help you with costs associated with study or completing an Australian Apprenticeship. For more information about ABSTUDY, www.humanservices.gov.au/abstudy.

    ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement helps Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians with some of the ongoing costs associated with study. To receive the ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement, you must be enrolled in an approved course and receive specific Department of Human Services or Department of Veterans' Affairs payments.

    Pensioner Education Supplement helps students with some of the ongoing costs associated with study. To receive the Pensioner Education Supplement, you must be enrolled in an approved course and receive specific Department of Human Services or Department of Veterans' Affairs payments.

    The Student Start-up Scholarship assists eligible higher education students who receive Youth Allowance, ABSTUDY Living Allowance or Austudy with essential study costs (for example, the purchase of books and equipment). Each Student Start-up Scholarship payment is $1025, and it is paid twice a year. If you have received in the past and remain eligible, you will receive the Student Start-up Scholarship automatically with your regular student payment in late February and late July each year.

    The Student Start-up Loan replaces the Student Start-up Scholarship for new student customers from 1 January 2016. The Student Start-up Loan is a voluntary loan available to eligible full time students in higher education who receive Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY Living Allowance. For the Student Start-up Loan, an 'approved course' is an accredited higher education or preparatory course taken at a higher education institution such as a university. While higher education courses undertaken with TAFE and Vocational education training (VET) institutions (for example a Certificate IV undertaken at a TAFE) are approved for student payments, they are not approved courses for the purposes of being eligible for the Student Start-up Loan. The Student Start-up Loan is not paid automatically, you need to apply for it. Loans are tax-free and repaid through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) when your income exceeds the minimum repayment threshold. The Student Start-up Loan is not available if you have previously received, and are still eligible for, the Student Start-up Scholarship.

    Relocation Scholarship is an annual payment to help dependent students receiving Youth Allowance and ABSTUDY Living Allowance who need to live away from their family home while studying. In some instances, an independent student may be eligible to receive the Relocation Scholarship if they meet one of the specific scholarship independence criteria (for example, if they are an orphan or in state care).

    To be eligible for the Relocation Scholarship, either your family home or your education campus needs to be in an area classified as Inner Regional Australia, Outer Regional Australia, Remote Australia or Very Remote Australia. The Relocation Scholarship is paid once a year in late February. Different rates apply depending on where your family home or education campus is located. Check the Human Services website for more information about rates and to find out the classification of your family home or education campus.

    Other assistance. If you receive Youth Allowance, Austudy, ABSTUDY, ABSTUDY Pensioner Education Supplement or Pensioner Education Supplement, you may also be eligible for Education Entry Payment, Fares Allowance, Rent Assistance and the Low Income Health Care Card. For more information or help in your language, visit www.humanservices.gov.au/yourlanguage.
  • Scholarships

    All four universities offer a growing number of scholarships to assist students financially. Some scholarships are for academic excellence, others for community commitment, and others for students with educational or financial disadvantages. Some are course specific, some are campus specific, some assist with accommodation costs, some assist with fees or books. These scholarships are many and varied, and you should investigate what's available. Detailed information on scholarships, including the eligibility criteria, selection criteria and application process, is available at:

    Scholarships for children of veterans
    The Australian Veterans' Children Assistance Trust (AVCAT) have scholarships for children of veterans. For further information go to www.avcat.org.au.
  • Application for credit transfer/advance standing through Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

    Universities Australia, of which the Western Australian public universities are members, along with the Commonwealth Government, are sponsoring initiatives to encourage the wider recognition of studies undertaken at other post-secondary institutions. Basically, if you enter a course you shouldn't have to repeat studies or work you've already done at the same level in recent years.

    If you have previous tertiary study you may be eligible for advanced standing at the participating universities in Western Australia. Select 'Yes' for this question in your TISCOnline application but also confirm you'd like to be assessed for advanced standing to the university when you enrol. Some universities assess for advanced standing based on your application and supporting documentation, others will require you to submit documentary evidence at enrolment. Each university will deal with applications for credit on a case-by-case basis. The university will determine the credit granted according to the following guidelines:

    Curtin University: The University acknowledges previous studies and relevant learning if it can be demonstrated that it meets the competencies required of the Curtin unit(s), however, the University requires students to complete a sufficient number of units to warrant the conferral of a Curtin University award. Enquire about credit for your course at the University Admission Centre, or visit www.futurestudents.curtin.edu.au/non-school-leavers/crl/.

    Edith Cowan University: You can apply for advanced standing for previous tertiary study, State Training Provider (formerly TAFE)/RTO Diplomas or Advanced Diplomas, or other equivalent experience and/or qualifications. The amount of Advanced Standing awarded is dependent upon the structure of individual courses and the requirements for students to complete a sufficient number of units to warrant the conferral of an ECU award. For further information regarding Advanced Standing visit www.ecugetready.com.au/advanced-standing..

    Murdoch University: Advanced Standing is the process of recognising previous learning from studies with a recognised post-secondary or tertiary institution, or professional and/or work experience. Students who receive advanced standing may receive credit and exemptions towards their degree, or be precluded from studying a specific unit within their course structure. Students may be eligible for advanced standing if they have completed studies at a recognised university, or a Diploma or higher at a recognised post-secondary institution. Once you have been made an offer, our Accreditation and Advanced Standing Officers will liaise with your academics and notify you of your usable credit towards your degree.

    Students who request for Advanced Standing in their TISC application can expect an email from the Accreditation and Advanced Standing team within two weeks after their offer. Those who receive an offer but did not tick the Advanced Standing box can send an email to AdvancedStanding@murdoch.edu.au to have their Advanced Standing assessed.

    The University of Western Australia: Applications for credit are dealt with on a case-by-case basis. The credit granted will be largely dependent on the overlap between your previous study and the courses offered at the University, although non-specific credit (which doesn't confer exemption from normal prerequisites) is also available. The amount and nature of the credit granted may be limited by particular University rules governing the structure of degrees. In general, at a minimum, you must complete the final one and a half years of study for the degree at the University. For further information on credit availability, please contact the appropriate Faculty office.
  • What if I have a disability, medical condition or learning difficulty?

    Many people have disabilities, medical conditions, mental health conditions or learning difficulties which affect their mobility, sight, hearing, ability to communicate, manual dexterity etc. If you're unable to undertake a normal full-time workload because of severe disability you may still qualify for Youth Allowance/Austudy. For details contact The Department of Human Services. Under equal opportunity legislation, you can't be discriminated against in the selection process on the grounds of a disability, medical condition, mental health condition or learning difficulty. Universities are keen to assist students with disabilities, medical conditions, medical health conditions or learning difficulties, wherever possible, to complete whatever course they choose.

    If you want to go to university and you have a disability, medical condition, mental health conditions or learning difficulty, seek advice or assistance from the appropriate person below:

    Curtin University
    Disability Services
    Telephone (08) 9266 7850, Freecall 1800 651 878
    Fax (08) 9266 3052
    Email disabilityservices@curtin.edu.au
    Website http://life.curtin.edu.au/health_wellbeing/disability_services.htm
    Hours Thurs 8.30am to 5.00pm, Fri 8.00am to 4.30pm. Other times by appointment

    Edith Cowan University
    Equity, Diversity and Disability Officer
    Telephone within Australia (08) 6304 5669 / 9370 6960
    Telephone from Overseas (61 8) 6304 0000 and ask for the Equity Officer
    Email studentequity@ecu.edu.au
    Website http://www.ecugetready.com.au/disability

    Murdoch University
    Disability Liaison Officer
    Telephone (08) 9360 6084
    Email equity@murdoch.edu.au
    Website http://our.murdoch.edu.au/Student-life/Health-and-happiness/Disability-services/

    The University of Western Australia
    Telephone (08) 6488 2423
    Fax (08) 6488 1119
    Email uniaccess@uwa.edu.au
    Website http://student.uwa.edu.au/life/health/uniaccess

    If you'd like to receive information from the universities about facilities available for students with disabilities, medical conditions, mental health conditions or learning difficulties choose the appropriate answer to this question when you apply. This service is confidential. Otherwise, check the websites of the relevant universities for further information.
  • Education level of parents or guardians

    These questions are about the highest level of education completed by your parents or guardians. The Australian Government Department of Education requires this information to be collected for statistical purposes. It will not be used by the Tertiary Institutions Service Centre in the assessment of your application for admission.

    Please answer for up to two people who, during all (or most) of your school years, were your parents or guardians. If you have more than two, answer for the two you spent the most time with.

    Answering these questions is optional, but not answering may jeopardise your chance of being offered an alternative entry pathway available partly on the basis of this information.
  • How do I find student housing?

    Most metropolitan students live at home, particularly during their first year of tertiary study. But others find they need to live away from home. Important factors in the choice of accommodation are transport costs, daily travel time, how suitable the residence is for study and the actual services (eg meals, laundry) provided. For help in finding accommodation, see the contact details below.

    Curtin University
    In Perth, contact Housing Services
    Telephone (08) 9266 4430
    Email housing@vc.curtin.edu.au Website http://housing.curtin.edu.au.

    For Agricola College in Kalgoorlie
    Telephone (08) 9088 6600
    Email Agricolar@curtin.edu.au Kalgoorlie on-campus accommodation http://life.curtin.edu.au/housing-and-childcare/Agricola_Kalgoorlie.htm

    Edith Cowan University
    Website www.ecuvillage.com.au

    Joondalup Campus
    Telephone (08) 6304 5760
    Email joondalup@ecuvillage.com.au

    Mt Lawley Campus
    Telephone (08) 9370 6376
    Email mtlawley@ecuvillage.com.au

    South West (Bunbury) Campus
    Telephone (08) 9780 7630
    Email bunbury@ecuvillage.com.au

    Murdoch University
    Apply online via www.murdochuv.com.au or contact the Murdoch University Village on telephone (08) 9360 2909 or fax (08) 9360 2977
    Email info@murdochuv.com.au.

    The University of Western Australia
    There are five on-campus residential colleges at the University of Western Australia - St Catherine's College, St George's College, St Thomas More College, Trinity and University Hall (formerly Currie Hall). For application and college details visit www.housing.uwa.edu.au/on-campus.

    For off-campus accommodation, visit the Housing Office website www.housing.uwa.edu.au, check out the Housing database at http://www.housing.uwa.edu.au/housing-database or contact a Housing Officer by email at housing-studserv@uwa.edu.au or telephone (08) 6488 2423.
  • Is childcare available to me?

    Curtin University
    Contact the Early Childhood Centre on:
    Telephone (08) 9266 7459
    Email childcare@curtin.edu.au
    Website http://life.curtin.edu.au/housing_childcare/about_childcare_centre.htm

    Edith Cowan University
    Telephone within Australia 134 ECU (134 328)
    From overseas (618) 6304 0000

    Murdoch University
    Contact the Director of the Child Care Centre on (08) 9360 2610 or visit http://www.murdoch.edu.au/Services/Murdoch-University-Childcare-Centre/.

    The University of Western Australia
    UWA Early Learning Centre for children aged 0-5 years contact the Director on (08) 6488 5300 or email earlylearning@uwa.edu.au

    UWA Out of School Care service for children aged 5-12 years contact the Director on (08) 9389 1848 or email outofschoolcare@uwa.edu.au.

    Website for both services www.childcare.uwa.edu.au.

    For information about Unicare, telephone (08) 6488 2204 or email unicare@bigpond.net.au or visit www.unicare.net.au